Alipay is one of the most popular and convenient mobile payment platforms in China. It allows you to pay for goods and services, transfer money, book tickets, and more with just a few taps on your phone. However, if you are a foreigner visiting or living in China, you may wonder how to use Alipay without a Chinese bank account. The good news is that Alipay has recently launched a new feature that enables foreigners to link their international bank cards to Alipay and enjoy the benefits of cashless transactions in China. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to use Alipay with foreign bank cards.
Step 1: Download and register Alipay
You can download Alipay from the Play Store for Android or the App Store for iOS. After installing the app, open it and tap “sign up” to register. You will need to enter your existing mobile number and receive a verification code via SMS. Make sure you set it to the International Version.
Step 2: Verify your identity and add your bank card
After registering, you will need to verify your identity and add your bank card. To do this, tap “Me” in the lower right corner of the screen, then tap “Bank Cards”. Tap “+Add Card” and follow the instructions to add your international card. You will need to enter your card number, expiry date, CVV code, and name. You will also need to enter your passport number and upload a photo of your passport page.
Alipay currently supports the following international payment systems: Visa, MasterCard, Diners Club, Discover, and JCB. You can add up to five cards per account.
Step 3: Make payments with Alipay
Once you have added your card, you can start making payments with Alipay. There are two main ways to do this: scan or pay/collect.
- Scan: This option allows you to scan the merchant’s QR code and pay directly from your card. To use this option, tap “Scan” in the upper left corner of the screen, then point your camera at the QR code. Enter the amount and confirm the payment.
- Pay/Collect: This option allows you to show your own QR code to the merchant and let them scan it. To use this option, tap “Pay/Collect” in the upper right corner of the screen, then choose “Pay” or “Collect”. The merchant will scan your code and deduct or transfer the money from or to your card.
You can also use Alipay to pay for online purchases, utility bills, transportation fees, and other services. Just look for the Alipay logo or QR code on the website or app and follow the instructions.
Tips and tricks
- You can check your transaction history and balance by tapping “Me” > “Transactions”.
- You can change your language settings by tapping “Me” > “Settings” > “Language”.
- You can send money to your friends or receive money from them by tapping “Me” > “Friends” > “Transfer”.
- You can access other useful features such as hotel booking, flight booking, car-hailing, public transport, and exchange rate checking by tapping “Home” > “Services”.
Using Alipay with foreign bank cards is a great way to enjoy the convenience and security of mobile payments in China. It can save you time, hassle, and money when traveling or living in China. All you need is a smartphone, an international bank card, and a passport. Follow this guide and start using Alipay today
Unfortunately, this method sometimes does not work. You will only know if the payment method works once you buy something. So, we recommend you to add a backup card. Or try the Alipay TourCard. We will explain it in the second part.